Friday, May 15, 2009
FREE Addmission To Museums in Medellin: Saturday May 16, 2009
Museo Castillo in Medellin, Colombia
This 1930’s Gothic-inspired Castle whose beautiful French style gardens consists of sweeping lawns and magnificent flower beds, was once home to a powerful Medellin family. The patriarch, Diego R. Echavarria, travelled the world amassing a great collection of art, along with an interesting array of home furnishing to decorate the home, all which are now on display at Castillo Museo to all visitors alike. The home was donated to the state of Antioquia by the Echavarria family after Diego's death, who wanted not just to preserve the home, but offer the public an opportunity to view his vast collection of art and antiques.
I would love to tell you the whole story behind the family’s tragic end, but feel it’s better for visitors to learn about the history during a visit to Castillo Museo.
TIP: An English tour guide is highly recommended, since the Castillo Tour Guides do not speak English. It’s definitely worth a visit.
Museo de Antioquia in Plaza Botero.
The wonderful city of Medellin is celebrating "International Day of Museums" where addmssion will be free at 21 museums throughout the city on Saturday, 16 of May.
The following list of museums are those participating in free addmision this Saturday in Medellin.
• Museo de Antioquia.
• Fundación Casa Museo Maestro Pedro Nel Gómez.
• Museo de Arte Moderno de Medellín MAMM.
• Museo Universitario Universidad de Antioquia MUUA.
• Museo Interactivo EPM.
• Museo Temático del Planetario.
• Colección Filatélica Banco de la República.
• Museo El Castillo.
• Museo Cementerio de San Pedro.
• Museo Etnográfico Miguel Ángel Builes.
• Casa Museo y Zoológico Santa Fe.
• Museo Etnográfico Madre Laura.
• Museo Entomológico y Mariposario Piedras Blancas.
• Casa Museo Gardeliana.
• Sala Museo Rafael Uribe Uribe.
• Parque Explora.
• Museo Herbario Gabriel Gutiérrez V.
• Museo de Entomología Francisco Luís Gallego. U. N.
• Casa Museo Otraparte.
• Museo Arqueológico del Municipio de Envigado.
• Casa Natal de Marco Fidel Suárez. Bello.
Discover The Transformation of Medellin, Colombia (click here)