.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Town of Santa Fe de Antioquia


"Puente de Occidente" is an unusual bridge over the Rio Cauca, which was built by a famous engineer. It was one of the first suspension bridges in the world and possibly the first in South America.


Santa Fe de Antioquia

Santa Fe de Antioquia is a municipality in the Antioquia Department, Colombia. The city is located approximately 50 miles north of Medellin. It's a wonderful drive from Medellin with many great photo opportunities. It is also very HOT! I did not notice until I stepped out of my friends' air-conditioned automobile.

Tourism has been, and continues to be one of the more important economic enterprises for Sant Fe de Antioquia. The opening of the Tunnel of the West (which reduces to the time and the distance between Sant Fe and MedellĂ­n) in 2006 has allowed hundreds of tourists to arrive each weekend.

All of the town is a historical site; the architecture that has survived through the years gives Santa Fe de Antioquia the aspect of a city "suspended" in the colonial era, which is the reason the city was declared National monument.





















On The Road To Santa Fe de Antioquia

The economy of Santa Fe de Antioquia is based on agriculture: the main products are coffee, maize and beans.



I stopped to purchased some fresh fruit on the road trip. The friendly merchant allowed me to sample several fruits that were completely new to me.

I ended up purchasing a few bags of several different types of fruits and sweets which I shared with all my friends back in Medellin when I returned from my trip to Santa Fe de Antioquia.

No comments:

Post a Comment